Cecil, West Virginia
The Cecil Train Depot in the early 1900s. Cecil--established in 1898, after the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad laid narrow gauge rail tracks in the area--was named after a Mr. Cecil Board. It was home to the poet W.W. McDaniel, who was nicknamed "The Sage of Cecil," until the town site was displaced by Tygart Dam in the 1930s.
About this community
- Dam
- Tygart Dam
- River
- Tygart Valley River
- Established
- 1898
- Inundated
- 1938
Sources
- Hamill Kenney, West Virginia Place Names: Their Origin and Meaning, Including the Nomenclature of Streams and Mountains (1945).
- https://www.appalachianhistory.net/2009/01/atlantis-in-appalachia.html.