Addicks, Texas
Addicks, Texas--which was also called Bear Creek, Bear Hill, and Letitia--on a 1915 map. The community was founded by German immigrants in the mid-nineteenth century. The Bear Creek Schuetzen Verein, a shooting club, was the center of community life: town meetings, barbecues, dances, and other social events were held there. The town moved closer to a newly-built railroad depot in 1893, and was rebuilt in the early 1900s, after the 1900 Galveston Hurricane destroyed the community. In the 1940s, residents were displaced by the construction of the Addicks Dam and Reservoir.
About this community
- Dam
- Addicks Dam
- River
- South Mayde Creek
- Established
- 1850
- Inundated
- 1948
- Population
- 200