Back to the Directory

Alluwe, Oklahoma

Alluwe, Oklahoma

Members of the Eastern Delaware tribe founded Alluwe, originally called Lightning Creek, in 1869. The community benefited from a local oil boom in 1905 and, for the next half-century, the town's fortunes and population rose and fell according to fluctuations in oil production. The US Army Corps of Engineers bought Alluwe's town site in the 1950s to pave the way for construction of Oologah Lake. Some residents relocated while others rebuilt their town, which they named New Alluwe, a few miles to the east.

About this community

Dam
Oologah Lake Dam
River
Verdigris River
Established
1869
Inundated
1963