Back to the Directory

Pateros, Washington

Pateros, Washington

Street in Pateros, 1964. In 1885, settler Lee Ives established a store and roadhouse at a point along the Columbia River that was home to around twenty Chinese miners and a small group of Indigenous residents. He named the spot Ives Landing and, in the years to come, Ives and his wife Rena opened a hotel and ferry crossing at the spot. Although the town was plagued by floods and a cricket infestation in 1893 and 1894, residents held on. In 1899, newly-arrived lawyer and landowner Charles E. Nosler, a veteran of the Spanish-American War, renamed the town after the Filipino village of Pateros. The railroad arrived in 1914, spurring the ranching and fruit farming community’s continued growth. Interestingly, Pateros was dry: it decided to ban alcohol in 1909, encouraging would-be drinkers to attend church services or the local literary and debate society instead. The US Army Corps of Engineers relocated Pateros before Wells Dam inundated the original townsite.

About this community

Dam
Wells Dam
River
Columbia River
Established
1885
Inundated
1967

The community that was displaced

Displacement cost
$21,712,542
Property value
$1,067,576
Vocations
farmer, fisherman, rancher
Birthplaces
local