Back to the Directory

Mayfield, Washington

Mayfield, Washington

Mayfield was named after the town’s first postmaster, H.T. Mayfield, who established a post office in 1890 or 1891 and ran it until his death in 1910. The town, built in a Cowlitz River canyon, consisted of a bridge across the river, a couple shops, a gas station, and a hotel known for its tasty food. The Chehalis and Cascade Railroad ran through Mayfield, and at one time the town served as a loading point for area timber products. The Mayfield area was also known for its delicious, high-yield honey, made by bees who feasted on fireweed nectar. By the time Mayfield Dam, built to generate hydroelectric power for Tacoma, displaced Mayfield in 1963, the hotel had long been closed and trains no longer ran through the town. Mayfield relocated to the west side of the river.

About this community

Dam
Mayfield Dam
River
Cowlitz River
Established
1890
Inundated
1963

The community that was displaced

Displacement cost
$23,146,822
Property value
$451,193
Vocations
farmer, fisherman, rancher
Birthplaces
local

Sources

  • https://revisitwa.org/waypoint/mayfield/
  • "Manmade lake covers original Mayfield site," The Daily Chronicle (Centralia, Washington), July 1, 1976.
  • "Mayfield Had Fight To Land Postoffice," The Daily Chronicle (Centralia, Washington), June 6, 1953.