Back to the Directory

Landax, Oregon

Landax, Oregon

Landax was constructed near a siding station for the Southern Pacific Railroad and established its first post office in December 1914 with Wilbur H. Hyland as postmaster and proprietor of a local logging operation. Around twelve families resided in this community and local students attended the Rush Island School. The post office relocated to a new townsite known as Signal thirteen years later, but it closed in 1938. The United States Army Corps of Engineers displaced Signal’s residents when it erected the Lookout Point Dam in 1954. Citizens never rebuilt their town after its inundation.

About this community

Dam
Lookout Point Dam
River
Willamette River (Middle Fork)
Region
Pacific Northwest
Basin
Willamette
Project
Lookout Point and Dexter
Established
1914
Inundated
1953

The community that was displaced

Displacement cost
$9,087,223
Property value
$436,524
Vocations
farmer, fisherman, rancher
Birthplaces
local

Archive artifacts

Photos

Sources

  • Lewis A. McArthur and Lewis L. McArthur, Oregon Geographic Names (Portland, OR: Oregon Historical Society Press), 588
  • “Life on Rush Island Before the Flood of '54,” Lane County Historian 37, no.3 (Fall 1992).