Back to the Directory

Hebron, Oregon

Hebron, Oregon

Joseph Taylor settled Hebron–originally known as Corpus Prairie–between 1852 and 1853. The town was later renamed after Hebron Church, constructed in 1880, and did not have its own post office. Much like the surrounding communities, Hebron depended on the timber industry to sustain its economy. Between 1867 and 1925, William Markham Whitney, William Payne, Ambrose, and Walter Woodard constructed five lumber mills. Woodard abandoned and relocated his mill to Latham, Oregon, in 1940 when the United States Army Corps of Engineers began constructing Cottage Grove Dam. This dam displaced the residents of Hebron, and they never rebuilt their community.

About this community

Dam
Cottage Grove Dam
River
Willamette River (Coast Fork)
Region
Pacific Northwest
Basin
Willamette
Project
Cottage Grove
Established
1852
Inundated
1949

The community that was displaced

Displacement cost
$18,809,880
Property value
$1,050,778
Vocations
farmer, fisherman, rancher
Birthplaces
local

Archive artifacts

Photos