Back to the Directory

Blakelyville/Eula/Armet, Oregon

Blakelyville/Eula/Armet, Oregon

Isabell and John Blakely settled Blakelyville in 1887, and a post office opened in the community in 1910. Two years later, postal and Southern Pacific Cascade Line railroad officials renamed the town Eula, after longtime resident Jo Blakely’s daughter. Around 1925 or so, railroad officials again changed the town’s name from Eula to Armet, so that the town would not be confused with Eola in Polk County. When the United States Army Corps of Engineers constructed Lookout Point Dam in 1954, it displaced Armet's residents. Citizens never rebuilt their town after its inundation.

About this community

Dam
Lookout Point Dam
River
Willamette River (Middle Fork)
Region
Pacific Northwest
Basin
Willamette
Project
Lookout Point and Dexter
Established
1887
Inundated
1953

The community that was displaced

Displacement cost
$6,744,766
Property value
$99,116
Vocations
farmer, fisherman, rancher
Birthplaces
local

Archive artifacts

Official Records

Personal Accounts

Sources