Back to the Directory

Arlington, Oregon

Arlington, Oregon

In the 1870s, settlers built cattle and sheep corrals at the mouth of Alkali Canyon. Elijah Rhea built the first home in the area in 1880, and in 1881 the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company established a station there. A town, originally called Alkali, was platted a year later, and served as the Gilliam County seat until 1890. In 1885, Alkali changed its name to Arlington, which was either in honor of a local lawyer or the city of Arlington, Virginia. In the 1960s, the US Army Corps of Engineers moved Arlington to higher ground to make way for John Day Dam. This photograph shows Arlington shortly before relocation.

About this community

Dam
John Day Dam
River
Columbia River
Established
1882
Inundated
1968

The community that was displaced

Displacement cost
$24,519,816
Property value
$205,758
Vocations
farmer, fisherman, rancher
Birthplaces
local

Archive artifacts

News

Official Records

Personal Accounts